Hello friends, I am Laxman. In today’s article, we see Chapter 14 of the intelligent investor book. In chapter 14, Benjamin gram explains the Defensive investor’s criteria. These criteria help you to pick good return stocks for defensive investors. Chapter 14 of the intelligent investor give some idea for a defensive investor. Those don’t want to give full time for the research analysis. Those criteria as follow.
7 Criteria for stock Selection:
- Adequate Size of Company: Defensive investors have to consider the large size of the company for their money safety. Investing rule no.1 is that Never lose money. If you don’t make money it’s ok but doesn’t lose money. So, for this reason, select the adequate size of the company.
- Strong Financial Condition: Sticking with the first rule of investing, you have to select a strong financial condition company. ( Intelligent investor: Chapter 14)
- Earning Stability: Defensive investors have to check for the earning stability with continuous five to 10 years, and also check if it goes negative in any year.
- Dividend Record: If you are a defensive investor, that means you have to check the dividend record If the company gives the regular dividend and gives slow growth in the dividend.
- Earnings Growth: Defensive investor also checks for the earnings growth, which increases 3% in 10 years and 33% in the previous year.
- Moderate P/E ratio: Defensive investors also check for the Price earning ratio. This ratio is about less than 15. This ratio, not more than 15. (Intelligent investor: Chapter 14)
- Moderate P/B ratio: Defensive investors also check the P/B ratio. This ratio is not more than 1.5.
You have to consider the P/E and P/B multiple is not more than 22. if you consider the above criteria, you will be a good defensive investor. Defensive investors are those that not have enough time to research and not understand the proper accounting. Benjamin gram refer the investors which don’t have time to become enterprising investor, they have to select the longs terms index funds, that have minimum charges. you want to research for the company as a defensive investor you have to consider the above criteria. So benjamin gram gives some due diligence for the defensive investors, they are as follows.
Read more: Click here
Due Diligence:- Intelligent investor: Chapter 14
- Do your homework: If you want to select stocks on your analysis, you have to read the 5 years annual reports, quarterly reports, and proxy statements. After this, you have more knowledge about the company.
- Check out your neighborhood: As a defensive investor, you have to check any investment of institutions investors, that more than the 60%. If the answer is yes then don’t invest in that company. Because when these institutions investors, make a profit they will sell the stocks then stocks price goes down. so for this reason, ownership of institutional investors is not good for individual investors.
This is all about Chapter 14 of intelligent investors.
Read More: One Up On Wall Street Book
Read More: Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits book
Read more: The Next Chapter: Click here